Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Monday Night's Presentation

In addition to many other classmates, I also enjoyed George Howard's presentation on blogs. While I already have a fair knowledge about blogs, it was interesting to see how having a blog has helped him in the business world. In his industry, the internet plays an integral part in assuring success. I was particularly interested (the thing that stuck) when he discussed the proliferation of social networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace. Until recently, my perception of such sites was that it was only for reaching the 16-24 year old age demographic. It's certainly refreshing to see that older professionals such as Howard are able to utilize these social networking sites to his business advantage. I also wonder if job recruiters really check your facebook or myspace pages like Howard stated. I do know however, that in addition to George Howard, more and more professionals are using these social networking sites. In fact, Advertising Age did a story on how some of the top ad execs from New York have facebook pages. You can see that story here. I look forward to having more guest speakers like George Howard.

1 comment:

George's Blogger Blog said...

First, thank you for the kind words.

Second, I think your link in your post illustrates the way blogs can continue "conversations," even after the initial conversation has ended.

i.e. I give my lecture, you respond, and, in your response, provide a link to related material that builds on and extends the original conversation topic.

Thanks,

George